This 6 hour class teaches students to make a traditional Greenland paddle. Each participant will carve a paddle under direction of an experienced mentor. We provide instruction,all the tools and a paddle blank. You provide the elbow grease and go home with a new Greenland paddle!
Greenland paddles are intended to to custom fit only one person.
With that in mind we will begin the class by discussing sizing and options to consider when making a paddle.
We will discuss how you can mark and cut a paddle blank at home in the event you want to make another one.
We will then discuss tool safety and carving techniques while we outline how to carve a paddle. Its then time to start working on your paddle.
You do not need to have any special skills to participate in this class, anyone can make a paddle.
What you will need to bring:
• Lunch- please pack a lunch and something to drink.
• No tools are required- We will provide all the tools needed to make a paddle. You may want to bring work gloves to protect your hands from blisters and splinters. If you would like to bring your own tools you will want a block plane with a sharp blade. Both Stanley and Buck make a good 7" plane that may be purchased at home depot for about $25.00. You may also want a spoke shave, sand paper, a small picnic table bench, 2 clamps to hold the blank to the surface. ( I like to use 18" bar clamps by Jorgensen) saw horse or other comfortable work surface to hold your blank while you carve.
• Clothing-We will be OUTSIDE ALL DAY RAIN OR SHINE. If it is raining we will be under a large tent or under a pavilion depending upon the location, but we will be outside so dress for the weather.
What will be provided:
- All the tools that you will need
- Instruction and guidance through out the day.
- A cedar or spruce paddle blank
- Good cheer!